By Keffrelyn D. Brown
This e-book examines how using the “at-risk” class and label creates difficulties for college students and academics. Drawing from learn throughout a variety of schooling websites, the writer illustrates how educators realize the label’s strength to redress problems with fairness, yet warns that it might additionally stigmatize the scholars so categorised. Brown explores how the labeling and next practices via lecturers and faculties truly impact scholars, corresponding to classifying many people as poor. The textual content presents a old evaluation, discusses the function of federal schooling coverage and instructing, and contains instruments to assist readers collect extra advanced, serious understandings of chance in academic perform. After the “At-Risk” Label not just demanding situations the schooling neighborhood to reorient itself to a extra equitable discourse, it offers a framework for altering the structural stipulations of education to higher serve all students.
- deals a severe appraisal of ways faculties, coverage, and lecturers can be complicit in exacerbating stipulations that result in risk.
- indicates how race and sophistication biases may be manifested within the “at-risk” id process.
- Outlines a framework for making experience of, and performing in accordance with, possibility that attends to either the person and the institution.
- Provides a suite of key questions, phrases, and an inventory of prolonged actions in each one chapter.
“In this booklet, Keffrelyn Brown takes the typical thought of ‘at-risk’ and turns it on its head. it's significant that individuals who take care of young ones and youths grapple with the centrality of her notions. it is a needs to read!”
—Gloria Ladson-Billings, college of Wisconsin–Madison
“In this crucial and well timed publication, Keffrelyn Brown offers a much-needed foundation for substantially rethinking no matter if possibility could be a part of a severe social justice undertaking in education.”
—David Gillborn, college of Birmingham, UK
“This publication represents an audaciously real name to grasp extra approximately, to determine extra in, and do extra for college kids who've by some means collected the label ‘at-risk!’”
—H. Richard Milner IV, college of Pittsburgh
Read Online or Download After the "At-Risk" Label: Reorienting Educational Policy and Practice (Disability, Culture, and Equity Series) PDF
Similar special education books
This well known practitioner advisor and textual content offers a good, problem-solving-based method of comparing and remediating educational talents difficulties. best authority Edward S. Shapiro presents sensible recommendations for operating with scholars throughout all grade degrees (K–12) who're suffering from studying, spelling, written language, or math.
The amount should be divided into 4 components. half 1 will current an outline on incapacity that makes a speciality of significant topics, specifically, the biopsychosocial methods to incapacity and cultural perspectives of incapacity. half 2 will research 5 significant parts of excessive occurrence exceptionalities: cognitive impairment, studying disabilities and a focus deficit hyperactivity, autism spectrum problems, behavioural/emotional problems and speech and language problems.
The transition from highschool to varsity is an important turning element in lifestyles, however it can include distinctive demanding situations while you're a pupil who's blind or visually impaired. The revised and up-to-date university sure is helping scholars arrange for his or her new existence in collage, increase valuable talents, and negotiate for and coordinate applicable companies.
The first actual options publication in orientation and mobility has been thoroughly revised and up-to-date for trendy fast-changing global, whereas closing real to Hill and Ponder's basic organizational ideas that generations have identified and enjoyed. a brand new, easy-to-read colour structure, accompanying images, up-to-date details on road crossings at advanced intersections, and a brand new bankruptcy on O&M for individuals with low imaginative and prescient make this revised variation a must have on your O&M library.
- Wahrnehmungsförderung nach Félicié Affolter aus heilpädagogischer Sicht (German Edition)
- Die Förderschule als stigmatisierte und stigmatisierende Institution: Inklusion als Allheilmittel? (German Edition)
- Zur Weiterentwicklung der sonderpädagogischen Förderung im Förderschwerpunkt der Lern- und Leistungsentwicklung (German Edition)
- Kompendium der akademischen Sprachtherapie und Logopädie: Band 3: Sprachentwicklungsstörungen, Redeflussstörungen, Rhinophonien (German Edition)
- Hopes & Dreams - Developing Potential: A Practical Approach to Developing Potential
- Kinder und Jugendliche mit Down-Syndrom: Förderung und Teilhabe (German Edition)
Additional resources for After the "At-Risk" Label: Reorienting Educational Policy and Practice (Disability, Culture, and Equity Series)